Monday, April 23, 2007

How Much is Enough?


First, some photos of my studio. As you can see, I have threads in tons of colors. I have bins full of fabric. I have boo-coo books.

And I love and appreciate all that I have.

So why does it often seem like it's not quite enough? Like one more addition would make it better?




























I inevitably perk up when I hear about a great fabric sale or get a new thread brochure from Superior Threads.

And books? Wow! Do I ever love books! Lately, there's been a discussion on the Quilt Art list about books on design and color theory. I have to go to Amazon each time and take a look at people's suggestions. And I want every one...really...all of them.

Today, I've been giving a lot of thought to "what is enough?" Can't I be satisfied with what I have? Why am I so drawn to things that might be only slightly different from what I already have? I think we're conditioned by advertising and television and movies and magazines to want things without giving them much thought.

From now on (let's see how long this lasts!), I plan to try appreciate the beauty or usefulness of things, without feeling that I need to own them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's a great blog I've following about a family in Manhattan that are trying to live a whole year without making an impact, including only buying used items.
http://noimpactman.typepad.com/blog/
k

Welcome to my blog. said...

Thanks, k. I read a bit of the blog you suggested, and will read a lot more. What a great idea!

Unknown said...

Hi Cynthina, I want to see more work! Just cut up some of that wonderful fabric you have and make something. Forget about your abundance, focus on sewing. The slave driver, Robin