Friday, April 27, 2007

For the Love of Books

Today, I meet with my book club. We meet once a month, rotating to each other's houses for lunch and a discussion of the month's book. It's been eye-opening because I've discovered some books I've loved, and a few...not so much, that I probably wouldn't have chosen had I not been in this group of bookie women.

Here's a brief list of some of my favorite books (most not from the book club):
The Djinn in the Nightingale's EyeThe Djinn in the Nightengale's Eye
by A.S. Byatt
Possession: A RomancePossession
by A.S. Byatt

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-TimeThe Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time
by Mark Haddon

The Year of Magical ThinkingThe year of Magical Thinking
by Joan Didion
Mr. White's Confession: A Novel Mr. White's Confession
by Robert Clark

The Tortilla Curtain Tortilla Curtain
by T.C. Boyle

The Magic Mountain Magic Mountain
by Thomas Mann
Music for Torching Music for Torching
by A. M. Homes

Housekeeping: A NovelHousekeeping
by Marilynne Robinson

... just to name a few.

And here's a link to a really great, unbiased magazine full of reviews of newly published and older books, divided by genre:

BookmarksBookmarks Magazine

No comments: