Thursday, September 11, 2008

Quotes and Kingfishers








While I was goofing around on my computer this morning, I found this blurb by Henry David Thoreau.

I take his meaning to be that if we can look at the world with beginner's eyes, or fresh eyes, we will see the beauty to which we might have become desensitized.

It's not easy for me to be that conscious all the time, but I do like this reminder.






Yesterday, I was lollygagging on the deck, taking in the beautiful day and reading my book. This little bird caught my eye, as she sat on a rock by the river. She was obviously fish hunting.

Later, I was able to identify her as a female belted Kingfisher. I also found a website that has the sound she was making, recorded so you can hear it too. Here's the link: http://animalbehaviorarchive.org/assetSelect.do?assetId=795995&section=summary

No comments: