Friday, September 19, 2008

Folksy

I'm still on my folk-art binge.

I decided to make a bunch of 11 x 11 inch square pieces of muslin to use for as many experimental small quilts as I can manage to dream up. I have no idea how (or if) I'll use them, but they give me a huge sense of freedom that I love. I can try absolutely anything, and if I don't like the end result...no problemo...back to the scrap bag it will go.

I start by putting stuff onto the muslin almost at random. Then I arrange the pieces until I like the composition, pin them all in place, and then sew all the pieces down by hand with heavy cotton embroidery threads.

Naturally, this required a return trip to Goodwill (not that I don't have enough stuff already), but there were things (like lace) that I wanted to incorporate, but didn't have. This first one has some lace that I cut from a black slip.


This next one includes some vintage fabrics and a piece from an old flour sack.




The idea for the last one arose from an interview of an African-American woman I saw on TV. She was talking about her experience after huricane Katrina, and her hopes for the presidential election... Barrack Obama being her choice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"It Be Time to Think" came out great--I feel honored to have seen it taking shape!!! Kitchen tested is a big favorite also. I'm still working on "Homage to Cynthia," did a little "editing of it today. Inspirational is what you are. B