Sunday, June 17, 2007

Out Out Damned Critic!

I decided to re-work #3 in my Circles series. This is the final version.

It's pretty wild, and I'm a little sick of it by now.

When I revise something this much, I find myself intellectualizing the process, and it becomes un-fun. I guess it's because I'm engaging my "inner critic" who can be extremely hard on my work. By the time I've finished doing something like this, I can't tell if I've over-worked it or under-worked it, if it's done or not, or even if I think it's a success or a dismal failure. I have to put it away for awhile and look at again in a few months. Fortunately, not all my studio quilts do this to me.


So now, it's on to my next piece. I'm still using the circle motif, but this time I want to make a piece that's less busy and uses a quieter color pallette. Here's my start. Who knows how it'll end up.

No comments: