Sunday, October 21, 2007

In Memory of the Madness of Monet

I've been doing some reading about the Impressionist painters, and found some paintings on line that Monet did of the cathedral in Rouen. I thought it'd be fun to compare them with my photos of the cathedral from my trip. Monet loved the results of the changing light, but it always frustrated him too. He said the light would change every seven minutes, so sometimes he'd have several canvases going at one time, trying like mad to capture a certain look that he liked.

Okay. First are two photos that I took on the West facade of the church. They were both at the same time of day, but from slightly differed viewpoints.




































Then there are Monet's paintings, capturing different times of the day.

I just think they're amazing.

2 comments:

Del said...

It is great to see the comparison. Thanks for posting the two sets of images. Del

Joyce said...

It's funny, we did the exact same thing on one trip to France. He was an amazing artist.