Saturday, July 28, 2007

Cynthia's Bambi Quilt Makes Neighbor Happy

A neighbor friend of ours recently gave me a sack full of leather that he'd had tanned from some deer that he'd shot in his younger hunting years. He thought I might be able to sew some things with it. It's buttery soft and a beautiful color.

Last November, he was diagnosed with lung cancer, so I wanted make a quilt for him as a thank you gift, using some of the deer skin he'd given me. I finished it today. This is a photo of the whole thing (about 45" x 63"), and a detail shot.

If you click to get a bigger image, you'll see that the amber colored pieces are actually leather (except for the binding). In some places I used rough side out, in others I used smooth side out. The back is a thick flannel which has some of the same colors in a print of little pears. I hope that will make it snuggly.

Mel isn't ever very jubilant, but he really did seem pleased when I took it over to him. It made my heart very happy.



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, that is exquisite. I love how it looks like light reflecting on water. I'm sure Mel loved it. Very special.
kel

Deb Geyer said...

It is wonderful! Good job!

Diane Perin said...

This is stunning--and what a great way to use the leather he'd given you.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely stunning.

teri

Anonymous said...

do you know a Mike McGinley? please contact me. lilyshepherd1@yahoo.com