Thursday, July 26, 2007

TO QUILT OR NOT TO QUILT

I'm trying to resist starting another quilt so that I can let some ideas come to a boil before I get compulsive and stay in my studio for days at a time.

This is a photo of the last "traditional" quilt I made almost a year ago. I love the quilt, but it sort of soured me on making a quilt from someone else's design.

It's made from a huge number of different fabrics, so I was able to use up some of my stash of scraps. That's a good thing. My brother Joe said it looks like a quilt on acid.

I'm not sure why I became so determined to make my own designs. Maybe because if I'm going to put this much work in to a piece, I want to be able to claim all the glory (or scorn) for myself.

I'm so hooked on improvisational design at this point, I'm not sure I could ever go back to doing anything so strict as following someone else's design and always using templates and rulers.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My vote is to GO!! make your own stories........Ginger