Thursday, September 13, 2007

Yippity Skippity!

I am not good at rejection, in fact I'm very easily devastated by rejection. So it was with steely guts and fierce trepidation that I entered my quilt "Connections I" in the Pacific International Quilt Festival to be held at the Santa Clara Convention Center in California this October.

In today's mail was an envelope from them. I braced myself, opened it, and was thrilled to read, "We are pleased to tell you that "Connections" has been selected..."

Wow! I'm so excited! I have been thinking I should do more with my pieces than folding them and stacking them in a closet, or occasionally selling one or giving one away. I guess this is a start in that direction.

Here's the final product as it will be displayed at the show.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's wonderful!! Are you going to the show to see it hanging there?

I love the quilt. How big is it? It is so graphic with a black background. I like the apple green paired with the tomato red. Ooo . . maybe I should go have lunch.

I've been quilting some over the summer, but no break out or break through pieces.

Congratulations again!!

Welcome to my blog. said...

Nancy, thanks for leaving your comment. The quilt is about 55" x 49". No, I won't get to see it hang, because I'll be on a trip to France with my daughter. Not a bad trade-off for sure. It was great to hear from you. Happy quilting! Cynthia

Anonymous said...

Not a surprise at all, but CONGRATULATIONS! This is an amazing quilt that makes me think of so many things!! I love it!

kelly

Karoda said...

I'm happy that I've discovered your blog...I like the straignt lines mixed with the curves.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! I love that quilt.

Anonymous said...

Awesome mommy! This is a great piece. Very understated and beautiful. I love it. I like the direction your work is going lately. Not that I haven't always loved it.

I guess it's because I identify more with more graphic renditions of color and shape. I think simplicity stimulates inspiration because people can imagine the creative process more readily.

I can actually feel the decisions you made in placing each piece, especially the time you took to find the right balance with the lighter pieces. I can imagine the scissors actually cutting the material and you shuffling the pieces up and down to find just the right spot. Very cool.

A drawing teacher once told me that indicating the medium and the process is important in drawing somebody into a piece. With drawing, it's the lighter, sketchy, random lines that indicate the struggle to find just the right spot. This is what allows people to understand that it was created by hand, by a real person. I see a similar process here.

Love you,
Josh

jenclair said...

What a beautiful quilt! The colors, the simplicity--I love it.