Thursday, September 6, 2007

Blast from the Past


My husband Jim recently photographed most of my art quilts, including this one. These photos show the whole piece, and two detail shots.











This is the very first art quilt I ever made. It's hard to believe I've been doing this for almost ten years! My goals and style sure have changed.

On this quilt, the pieces were drawn onto freezer paper, cut, and fused to the background with Wonder Under. Then I stitched around each piece to stabilize the raw edges.















I got the fabrics at the Salvation Army (men's shirts mostly). Now, I almost exclusively do abstracts, or at least non-pictorial pieces, I no longer fuse anything, but piece everything together, and I've become much too much of a fabric snob to scrounge at thrift stores.
I want the best materials I can find!

I do think about doing figures again, but I'm not keen on fusibles any more. I understand they can harm fibers over time. Who wants to spend that much time on something that'll self-destruct and disintegrate?

So my figures now (according to my new rules) have to be pieced together or appliqued on. Very time consuming, but a good challenge.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Cynthia, I suspect this is not what your quilts look like in person. You need to go to Picasa and download their photo editing program. It will make your whites white and bring your other colors to a more true form. I use it all the time. Great quilts by the way. Why did you move from pictorial quilts to more graphic ones? Not that there is anything wrong with that. I'm just curious.

Deb Geyer said...

How interesting to see where you came from and where you are now. That is quite a career you are living!