Sunday, August 19, 2007

Still Life With Tomatoes



The past few days have been a bit cool and rainy, but I've still managed to do a bit of tomato harvesting. Look at these beauties! The variety of sizes and colors is mostly thanks to our friend Frank who gave us most of our tomato plants. Thanks again, Frank!

Jim has been in Alaska for the past few days, so I've had even more time than usual to wile away the hours in my studio. I managed to attach some big pieces of 1/2" thick foamcore to the design wall, which makes pinning fabric to the wall much easier. All I have to do now is stab a pin straight through the fabric into the wall. It works great.




This is what I'm working on now. I haven't quilted it yet, but hopefully I'll get to that in a day or two.

I'm thinking I might do a series with this general design idea because I think there's more to explore here. I like the idea of working with only three or four colors, and trying to push them into something dramatic.

This piece is about 50" x 65".

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Love this piece! What does it look like when you fold under the sides, top and bottom? The black is too much for me. Also, what are those black lines in the cream pieces? They are distracting. I still love this one and yes, I do think you are on to something! keep it up!

Welcome to my blog. said...

Robin, thanks for your comments. I'll try folding under the top and bottom and see how that looks. I think I like the black at the sides though. And the black lines in the pale shapes are intended to give the piece a bit of tension. If you find them distracting, that's a good thing in my book.

Anonymous said...

Love it! Can't wait to see more!

Deb Geyer said...

I love it, just as it is!

Anonymous said...

What's interesting to me, is that I thought is was a direct interpretation of the photo w/tomatoes! It's beautiful. I think the black is bold and is what makes the lines more delicate. The thin black lines did catch me up too, but really, they drew me in. Then I noticed the little lines on the red too. I also thought of a back bone and ribs. And bridges, maybe falling down...
kelly